Friday, May 15, 2009

May Pittsburg trip

Rob took a journey up North to Pittsburg on friday and he had a relaxing day. here's his report


Hit the road at 3:30 AM! After a brief stop to get coffee and sustenance I
arrived on Magalloway road just before 7 AM

I was happy to see that
the gate was open. I noticed a large number of trucks parked at the fly fishing
area trying their luck with the freshly stocked breeder trout and
salmon.

After parking at an "undisclosed location" I geared
up and headed out. The area I was searching was a downward sloping conifer
forest. It took me 2 hours to find my first moose antler ( a small one) on
a well used trail. I stopped for a bit to eat and a drink and saw a flittering
in the trees. At first I thought it was a kestrel but as it landed feet from my
face, I realized it was a Canadian jay- My FAVORITE bird. For those who do not
know these are Blue jay sized birds (cousins actually) that are very personable.
I decided to share my food with them, I say them because the one magically
turned into twelve friends that took food directly from my hands. These guys
rock! (a red squirrel also shared my food..)

I followed the moose
trail to a large clear cut that was about 7 years old. Much easier to move
through now than it was a few years ago. After my first pass through I was
getting discouraged, so much land and so little time. But I collected my
thoughts and methodically searched. next to a small outcrop of rocks near a
trail I found a smallish antler that had been on the ground 1-2 years. A little
chewed but not bad. This should illustrate to you that no matter how many times
you search an area you can miss an antler, because I searched this same area
last year and never saw it.

Got through the clear cut as best as I
could and worked my way back to the truck, it was about 2 PM and I drove to my
next search area. A lot of moose sign but saw no antlers. I was hurrying though
as I needed to leave around 5. However I did "re-find" a bull Moose skull from a
2-3 year old that I had seen last year but had not picked up. I decided to bring
it home this year because with the right sheds I can mount them to the skull to
sell.

I plan on going back up in a week or so and maybe spend the
night and maybe I will find a big set then

No comments: