Friday, April 24, 2009

Late April shed

On April 22, Itsy and I went shed hunting on a private farm that is steeped in Whitetail mystery. My wife has seen an extremely large deer in velvet early last year and my friend Dave witnessed a massive 10 pointer in the corn field within easy shooting distance, but he could not take it because he did not have permission to hunt the farm.


After aquiring permission to shed hunt this several hundred acre farm, I have found now 3 antlers in total and many bones of other types including the pictured Fisher skull. To an antler dog a bone is a bone is a bone and Itsy has found LOTS of bones- deer, cow, pig etc... as well as some antlers!


I went back out on April 24 by myself because the area I wanted to search was a mess of down trees and found this antler, which is the largest of the 3 I have found on this property.
After showing this one to both Dave and my wife, they have both confirmed that this is not the giant that they saw.
.
This antler would score around 66" had the G2 tine (estimated at 9") not broken off. It currently scores about 57"

No comments: