Monday, January 19, 2009

Moose Sheds


Sat I went to a spot in Springfield that I had found moose antlers before.

As I was following deer tracks I happened to look down and saw something brown IN the deer track. I bent down to look more closely at this track in deep snow and noticed that the brown had antler texture. I swept away snow and found the base of a moose antler. With some effort a pried a nice right hand antler from the snow

I decided that the match could not be far and started to search in spite of the deep snow making the discovery unlikely

I took into account the position the antler had been lying and headed in the direction the moose likely traveled

About 150 yards away I saw the very end of a base and 2" of tine sticking up from the snow

Don't let the differences in the antlers fool you, they are from the same moose. I have seen him personally with antlers on his head and have 3 years of antlers from this same moose that we are guessing is approximately 7-10 years old.

The farm produces for me again!

Rob Richardson

No comments: