Thursday, April 21, 2011

Chewed up "yard ornaments"

One of the things I've tried to do this season is expand myhunting grounds. The more I talk to people about sheds, the more places Ihear about. I have found that Stoddard ,Munsonville, Windsor and Washington to be hidden gems, with immense open land opportunities and abundant moose and deer population.



I headed out to a place that I have been in before but not really looked thoroughly over. Almost immediately upon entering the woods I found significant moose sign. While creeping down an old abandoned farm road I looked out across a slough and noticed a hemlock covered peninsula jutting out into the summer moose feeding grounds. I noticed a number of winter chews on trees and some antler rubs on some sizable spruce and I knew in an instant that this was going to be the place to really start looking. I followed a game trail littered with moose and deer pellets over a spongy moss laden bog to reach the spit. Once I set foot on solid dry ground I could see up close that the moose spend alot of time in there. I covered the spit in three waves, outer edge by following the trail around the outside of the tree line where the rubs were all the way around. Inside edge ,This area the small hemlock was all browsed up and showed the most use and the inside where the moose bed down on the ridge that ran down the center of the landmass. When searching it is very important to go over a piece of ground with a fine tooth comb.


While scouring the inside edge I picked up my first shed of the day. A big but chewed side laying in the middle of the browse. Still with a lotof mass and weighty for its size ,would have been a cocker of an antler whole. I strapped it to the pack to use as a garden antler.
I Finished scouring the spit without any luck of finding the match. So I moved off the spit and followed the inside edge around the east side following astream. I climbed up a small rise and laying on a flat rock like an altar is a small fork moose shed chewed on the end . I am always amazed at some of the ways I have found antlers, hanging off logs, sitting up on stumps, stuck points down in the mud, in the middle of the road ,submerged in streams, just amazing.

Well the rest of the day was devoid of antlers but I did make note of a few trails and clearings that I will check into next week.

No comments: