Thursday, March 18, 2010

A long antler hunt with the dog

While driving to my wife's friend Maggie's , I thought that the chances of finding antlers was good. I was heading to 350 acres of corn and hay fields surrounded by CRP fields and hemlock groves. A roaring native trout brook tuns down a ravine that is full of deer travel. The day promised to be warm and sunny, in the 60's. A day antler hunters love, certainly for March. (Pre bug season).


With me I had my partner in training, Itsy (Little Bit), my trusty antler dog. Today would be a fine tuning trip for her blossoming skills.


When we reached Maggie's I ran into a logger who was eager to tell me where they had been seeing deer. Information considered, off we went. I had planned to go down into the ravine and work the dog in and around the deer trails. A lot of the upper piece had been select cut.


Within 50 yards of getting to the upper shelf, we got our first hit. Turned out to be a leg bone, but she's on the right track. I refocus Itsy and move along. 20 feet later and another bone. Down by the brook, you guessed it another bone. Did I mention none are antlers?


Well we quartered for quite awhile and I had planned on crossing the brook, but the water was still far too high. The deer trails showed that the deer had been crossing it most of the winter and last year I found a 5 point side over there, but no access yet.


The deer trails headed up the bluff and we found 3 huge rubs. We made our way along to the home stretch, we had been out now for over 5 hours and finally found an antler. Out in the middle of a field Itsy found the end of a main beam and part of a tine that had been broken by the hay mower. It was very weathered and had been out there a long time. I left it where it lay as there was not enough to bring home.


So what did we turn up? 10 legs, part of a hip, some cow bones, a chewed up doe skull, several turkey bones, the broken antler piece and LOTS of deer poop.


I think we are doing good for a 2 year old, barely worked pup. I just wish some more antlers would pop up, but it's only March

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a good girl you are, Itsy! I know you had a wonderful time, out in the woods with dad.